Race Results    
  2014 Overall    
  2014 by Age Group    
         
 

The History of Williamsburg School and     Williamsburg Community Center

 

 
       The original school building was built in 1885.   In 1923, the building was remodeled at a cost of $57109 which added classrooms and a gymnasium.   In 1953-54, another remodeling project was undertaken.   At this time, four new  classrooms    
 

were added and the old gymnasium was torn down and a more modern one was constructed to the east.   In 1963, along came school consolidation and high school students from Webster joined the high school students in the Williamsburg school.   In 1968, the junior and senior high school students began attending the newly constructed Northeastern school near Fountain City.   At this time, the Williamsburg building housed

 
   

the elementary students from Greene and Webster townships.   Williamsburg schools was closed in 1983.   The Northeastern board offered the school to the community for $1.00, provided a board of directors was established to oversee operation and maintenance.   The formation of the Williamsburg Area

   
 

Community Center, Inc. occurred and since that time, the building has been well maintained and widely used.   The size of the gymnasium is over 5000 square feet and can seat 940 people.   It is widely used for basketball games, birthday parties, reunions, weddings and wedding receptions, meeting and gatherings.   It is conservatively estimated that over 12,000 people use and/or visit this facility annually.   Of the eight schools in Wayne County that were consolidated in the 1980's, Williamsburg is the only building that is still in its same structural condition.   A new roof was installed in 2009 and all heating units will be replaced in 2011.   In addition, a museum area was begun in 2008 and has been added to on a regular basis.   There are three rooms that have many pictures and items of memorabilia of history of the Williamsburg/Greene Township area.